Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Nothing to declare

Photobucket
Baby panda
(obligatory attention-getting picture)

"Let thy speech be better than silence, or be silent."
— Dionysius of Halicarnassus

He was a good head, was Dionysius, and what he advised still goes. Or, if you want a more modern source, consider the words of the famous Chilean-Finnish poet, José Käyttö-Näköislehden: "Your brain is bigger than your tongue for a reason."

Today I am full of thoughts on the disintegration of my country into a Soviet-inspired banana republic, a stock market that's fallen and can't get up, and many more subjects of great pith and moment. All of these thoughts are useless to anyone, including me.

Being pushed for time myself, I will not take up yours with piffle.

Photobucket

I know it's common wisdom among bloggers that if you don't come up with something new every day or thereabouts, your loyal readers will desert you for other outlets that provide more regular stimuli. If you imagine that reduced productivity at this site is a possible indication of alien abduction, so be it. That was a long time ago, actually. The past is another galaxy. They do things differently there.

So, no posting today when I have nothing to say, no strained humor and wordplay. It's a firm principle. Here I stand, I can do no other.

Photobucket

Except … well, I declare! It occurs to me that I have just wasted your time with a post about nothing.

What can I do to make it up to you? Only humbly apologize to anyone still reading this ridiculous posting (you know who you are).

Oh no! I have just wasted more of your time by apologizing!

I'm sorry about that, too.

Blimey O'Riley, I've just done it again! How do I get out of this cycle?

And yet again

Thanks. I needed that slap.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this post. I think all bloggers wonder, should I discuss this or that news story and why...I've said this before, other people say it better, etc. I think bloggers should share their thoughts about process more often, instead of feeling they have to come up with a new angle on the usual stories. Pandas are good, too.

Rick Darby said...

Thanks, Latté. I go through periods where I am just dry, nothing comes to mind that hasn't been said already by me or others. At least this is only the second time I have posted on my case of blogger's mopery.

Blogger's Blues Again

Oh, Mama, is this really the end?
To be stuck inside, immobile,
With the blogger's blues again?

Dennis Mangan said...

Ditto to both of the above. In blogging, so the feeling goes, you're only as good as your last post. Then there's "does this post make me look ridiculous?"