Saturday, June 02, 2012

I'm like woh!

Hey, y'know, I'm a fuckin' baby boomer, takin' all the money they're entitled to, just 'cause I've had jobs and I can collect like Social Security, y'know, even still workin' after I oughta be laid off so young persons, especially Persons of Color, can get aboard.

Y'know, it's fuckin' true, I mostly work with people pushin' it, like around my age, we oughta all be like dead, we're holdin' back the future, y'know what I'm sayin'? So I don't have too much goin' with the compassionate generation, Y or Z or whatever we're down to now, the ones who want me and my fuckin' colleagues to like die or something.

Once in a while when I do hear 'em, though, it's like a real shock, y'know? I've got used to, y'know, the ones with the 25 stickers on their cars, like Obama '08 The Messiah Is Here and Coexist With Islam Which Is Just a Social Construct and Fuck for Peace, y'know? But I hear 'em talk and I'm like woh!

Old waste of space I am, I've kinda got used to the girls, I mean womyn, with their "uptalk," y'know, ending every sentence on an upnote, y'know what I mean? I mean, like, "It's about social justice?" and "We've gotta do something?" and "They need to hear us?"

But it's the guys, y'know, the like 20-somethings, well fuck, I call 'em guys, y'know, as a how do you say it, horrific, honorific, whatever, y'know, that really make me like wanna hurl

It's not just the like, what d'you call 'em, words they use, all 50 of 'em, but the sound they make. Like produced way back in the throat, y'know? Like, they're gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). And these gays, sorry, guys, I mean, like, they do the uptalk thing too. They talk like, y'know, womyn. Everything that comes out of their throats, like way back, has a sort of tentative sound, like "I'm just sayin', y'know, but if a Person of Color is offended, hey, y'know, I didn't really mean it."

The old generation really like sucks. That's getting to be me, y'know?

Photobucket

5 comments:

Eric said...

It's not just you:

Taylor Mali has a wonderful poem about speaking with confidence.

Rick Darby said...

"It's just gotten to the point where we're the most aggressively inarticulate generation to come along since, you know, a long time ago."

I like this guy. A great send-up of modern mumble-shuffle talk.

zazie said...

Thanks, Rick! I now know why my English is so old-fashioned ; quite a different language, isn't it?
We see the same evolution in French, unfortunately ; I sometimes suspect they come from another planet, unless it be a different galaxy ; "they" being the very young, or the snobbish not-so-young.

Rick Darby said...

Zazie,

C’est ça, exactement.

zazie said...

I need your help ; what does this recurrent "like" mean, if it means anything of course?
In French, we have a recurrent "voilà", which has no meaning at all.